EDAP TMS SA (EDAP)
Some remarks for you:
- EDAP is the global leader in therapeutic ultrasound with its Ablatherm-HIFU (High-intensity Focused Ultrasound) device
- Read the article “Ultrasound May Permit Prostate Lumpectomies, Study Says“; excerpt is below for your convenience:
[note color="#CDCAE0"]The technology enables doctors to preserve the prostate by aiming only at the cancerous area in contrast to standard treatment, such as irradiation or surgical removal of the gland, which may cause impotence and leakage of urine or feces, researchers in London said in the study published today. The technique, also called HIFU, may provide men with an alternative similar to the lumpectomy, in which doctors remove tumors rather than the whole organ in breast-cancer patients, they said. “The signal from this study is quite strong,” Hashim Ahmed, a urologist at the University College London who was the report’s lead author, said in a phone interview. “When you look at the current standard of care, there’s a 1-in-3, or 1-in-2 chance of having the perfect outcome. In this study, after 12 months, it’s a 9-in-10 chance.” None of the 41 men in the trial reported urine incontinence and only one in 10 suffered from poor erections 12 months after the treatment, the researchers said. About 95 percent of the men were cancer-free after a year, meaning most had a “perfect outcome” in terms of disease progression and side effects, the authors said.[/note]
- EDAP’s Phase III Ablatherm® HIFU FDA clinical trial
[note color="#CDCAE0"]A phase III clinical study for Ablatherm® HIFU, sponsored by EDAP TMS Inc. has been initiated in the United States. Patients diagnosed with low risk localized prostate cancer were recruited into the study. The recruitment phase of the study is complete and patients are now being followed. Candidates for study participation had to meet study inclusion/exclusion criteria prior to study enrollment.
HIFU has received regulatory clearance and is marketed in Europe, Canada, Australia and others outside of the US. Ablatherm® HIFU is seeking approval for market introduction in the US following FDA requirements including completion of this Phase III Clinical Trial.[/note]
- On March 23rd, 2012 EDAP announced that it has entered into definitive agreements with certain institutional investors for a registered direct placement of $5.625 million of ordinary shares in the form of American Depositary Shares (“ADSs”) at a price of $2.00 per share, with warrants attached (the warrants issued up to 1,406,250 ordinary shares with an exercise price of $2.75 per share)
- EDAP market capitalization is nearly $33.42M (based on today’s close and 18,257,273 shares issued & outstanding)
Try to find any public company in the Medical Appliances & Equipment industry (with the Phase II or Phase III FDA clinical trials) that is valued below $100M. Can you? We bet you cannot…
EDAP TMS S.A.
Parc d’activités la Poudrette – Lamartine
4, rue du Dauphine – 69120 Vaulx-en-Velin – France
Tel: +33 (0) 472 153 150
Fax: +33 (0) 472 153 151
Edap Technomed Inc.
Mr. Marc Oczachowski, President
Mr. Jeffrey Howell, VP Sales & Marketing
Mr. John Rewcastle, Ph.D., Medical Director
Tel: 604 688-4019; 1 800 541-8414
EDAP TMS is well positioned on the HIFU market with Ablatherm® for the treatment of prostate cancer and in the ESWL market with the Sonolith® range for the treatment of urinary tract stones. These two technologies are based on ultra-sound waves but their markets and contexts are distinct, and they therefore require specific marketing strategies.