Galectin Therapeutics (GALT) develops carbohydrate-based therapies for the treatment of fibrotic liver disease and cancer based on the company’s unique approach of galectin proteins, key mediators of biologic function.
Galectin announced today that it has received a notice of issuance from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for Patent Number 8,236,780.
The patent covers key methods of derivation and use for the Company’s carbohydrate-based galectin inhibitor compound for use in patients with chronic liver disease associated with the development of fibrosis, established liver fibrosis or end-stage scarring, or cirrhosis.
Fibrotic disease of the liver is highly prevalent in the population because all chronic liver disease of multiple causes (e.g., viral hepatitis, fatty liver, alcohol) results in fibrosis of the liver and there are no currently approved pharmaceutical therapies.
Peter G. Traber, MD, President, CEO and CMO of Galectin Therapeutics, commented:
The issuance of this patent asserts Galectin Therapeutics as the leader in developing galectin inhibitors for the treatment of liver fibrosis, and its broad coverage allows us protection as we explore the range of liver fibrosis for which our compounds could be efficacious. There is a truly vast unmet medical need for liver fibrosis, with the only current treatment option being liver transplantation. Preclinical results of our candidates have shown reversal of fibrosis in rodent models of disease, particularly in non-steatohepatitis, NASH, or fatty liver disease, which will be our first clinical indication for our fibrosis program.
- Klyosov, A., Platt, D. Methods and Compositions for Reducing Side Effects in Chemotherapeutic Treatments. US Patent No. 6,642,205, November 4, 2003.
- Klyosov, A., Platt, D. Delivery of a Therapeutic Agent in a Formulation for Reduced Toxicity. US Patent No. 6,645,946, November 11, 2003.
- Klyosov, A., Platt, D. Delivery of a Therapeutic Agent in a Formulation for Reduced Toxicity. US Patent No. 6,914,055, July 5, 2005.
- Klyosov, A., Platt, D. Delivery of a Therapeutic Agent in a Formulation for Reduced Toxicity. US Patent No. 6,982,255, January 3, 2006.
- Klyosov, A., Platt, D. Co-administration of a Polysaccharide with a Chemotherapeutic Agent for the Treatment of Cancer. US Patent No. 7,012,068, March 14, 2006.
- Platt, D., Klyosov, A. Selectively Depolymerized Galactomannan Polysaccharide. US Patent No. 7,893,252, February 22, 2011.
- Platt, D., Klyosov, A. Co-administration of Polysaccharide with a Chemotherapeutic Agent for the Treatment of Cancer. Patent of Australia 272022B2, February 17, 2011. Terms of the Patent: 20 years from 7 September 2004.
GM-CT-01, the company’s lead product candidate for cancer therapy, is a proprietary linear polysaccharide polymer comprised of mannose and galactose derived from a plant source that has a precisely defined chemical structure. GR-MD-02, the company’s lead product for treatment of liver fibrosis and fatty liver disease with inflammation and fibrosis, is a proprietary complex polysaccharide polymer possessing both linear and globular structures, which is also derived from a plant source.
Galectin Therapeutic, Inc.
7 Wells Ave, Suite #34